Wednesday, February 17, 2010

John Cameron 02-17-10. Idea/Concept blog.

"Here are the Springers" - Digital Photograph, February 2010. By John Cameron
So I went out to a High School Basketball game Monday night, and I photographed the night away. It was fun and I learned a lot. I showed up about 20 minutes before the Senior Varsity game, to see the Junior Varsity game. This "JV" game went on for ages, and the game was decided after four overtimes. This gave me plenty of time to adjust the lighting settings that I wanted. From the get go, I knew that it was going to be tough, because the gym didn't provide much light for such quick movements. But I told myself that I wanted to focus on emotions, maybe from the bench, or from celebrating a good moment in the game. For this semester, I want to focus on emotions, so the viewer can really look into the photograph and think about what the person is doing.
"This is fun" - Digital Photograph, February 2010 - by John Cameron
With the image above, these junior varsity players just witnessed one of their team mates sink a three pointer on the buzzer to send the game into the fourth overtime. When you look into the image, you can see laughter, positive feelings, and it shows that these boys are having a really good time. I liked this angle of the players, but after driving home, I thought about what I could do to get some better shots. There was plenty of room in the grand stands behind the players, so next time I might go behind the bench to get some photographs of the coach talking to his team during a timeout. I talked to the athletic director of Benedictine High School, and he said that the coach was fine with me going to their practices, and a home game this Sunday. So I'll be hopefully posting more images next week. I might even try to get into a locker room.
"Timeout" - Digital Photograph, February 2009. By John Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment