Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Artist Lecture - Shimon Attie. John Cameron. 11/11/09.

By Shimon Attie
I thought that Shimon Attie was a really smart artist. His thought process in his work was very dominant and successful. But I feel as though the technical difficulties really effected his lecture. From this, I really see that checking equipment before a lecture is vital. It's the most important part to make sure the vibe is positive and I feel as though everyone was a little upset from this.

By Shimon Attie
But, Shimon Attie managed to pull it off. He never showed any signs of being nervous or upset by the technical difficulties, and his work was very interesting. A lot of his work was definitely new to me and I liked his style of thinking about conceptual ideas. At first I thought his night photographs were plain old night photographs, but the projections he got from buildings in Berlin before World War II were important and amazing parts to his photographs. Attie's thought process in his work was a lot more deeper than the other visiting artists. I feel as though he wanted to research into the story behind his photography/art work. This made his projects work very successfully because their meanings were important to the environment that they were set in.

By Shimon Attie
I feel as though Attie has succeeded as being an artist in relation to art. Because he has taken on many styles of art and isn't just a "photographer". Hearing him talk about his process in making his work definitely helped him also. I really liked how he mentioned how he took a small generator, projector, and camera to take his night photographs right after he graduated from college. I felt as though I could relate to him as a student using basic equipment to get assignments done. As I have mentioned before, I have done long exposure night photography and that's a similarity I had with him.

To then see the part where he projected neon lit writing on the sides of buildings, showed his growth as an artist and how he has changed. The project was documented on video, and reactions were seen from the public to see the unique style of art.
By Shimon Attie

No comments:

Post a Comment